Friday, July 11, 2014

A Special Day For Papaw, Oh, and the 4th of July Girls




Liberty

My Dad's birthday is the Fourth of July, which happens to be a national holiday here in the U.S. and is considered our nation's birthday. So, basically there's lots of outdoor fun, fireworks, and red, white, and blue. Every year we have a party/cookout for my Dad, and all the grandkids dress in red, white, and blue for their Papaw's special day.

My daughter really looks forward to picking out outfits in general. Yeah, I don't know wear she got that, lol. She also really likes for me to sew her up one of a kind special clothes. So, it was inevitable that I would try to sew her up something special for the Fourth of July/Papaw's Birthday. The only obstacle being that I started it three days before said event. Honestly I had forgotten she had chosen the fabric and all.

I did a quick search of my box of girl's patterns and found this size 6 little Advance version of the popular patio dress of the 1950s. Knowing that this kind of skirt and top would be a quick and easy sew, I got to work right away and hoped I could at least get the skirt done. The hardest part was getting the fabric chosen and cut out, and then a million gathers and pins later there was a skirt.

Although I didn't get the blouse finished for her, she was still delighted with her new skirt and she had something red, white, and blue to wear to Papaw's birthday party which is all she really wanted.

The day also gave me the opportunity to try a 1940s updo that I'd been wanting to try for a while. I'm not sure how often I will repeat the hairstyle as it came out looking a little like Aunt Bee, but it did keep me cool and looked better with a vintage 1940s straw hat. It was fun to wear 1940s hair with my blue 1940s pinafore dress, though, and the 4th of July always stirs up images of the 1940s patriotic propaganda.

Aunt Bee's Online Cookbook

I really do enjoy sewing for my kids and particularly for my daughter. There just aren't as many fun and cute options for little boys. Even with vintage boys patterns it's hard for me to get all fired up about it, and I usually sew things for them out of necessity, but for girls its super fun.

Only picture I got of two of the kids with me and of her skirt that wasn't a blurry running picture outside. 
Do you dress for holidays or in themes? Do your kids take some of their style from you?
The 4th of July Girls and doll Grace :


2 comments:

  1. You guys all look wonderful!!! It's immensely sweet that your daughter is a budding fashionista and that she's following in your footsteps on that front. I harbour a deeply rooted hope that one day, if we're blessed with a child(ren), they'll share my love of fashion and dressing up, too. A gal can hope! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you very much for the wonderfully nice comment regarding my 30th birthday. I've really fallen hard for nylon/chiffon scarves this year. I'm always looking for ways to gussy up my wig, which offers so little in terms of styling options, and they're a fun, vibrant way to do just. I highly recommend picking up a couple if you like the look. They're a cinch to wear and really cap off any outfit nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I will definitely be praying you and your husband will be blessed with children. There was a time when my husband and I didn't know if we would ever be able to have children, and we have two babies that were born to heaven. I know how my heart ached for a baby, and God has truly turned our loves around in blessing us with three amazing kids and a fourth coming next month.
      As far as them have a great and unique style, I can't imagine them being your child and not picking up some great style. Even my boys are very particular about what they want to wear, but then my husband doesn't dress like most men his age either and is very particular about what he wears.
      I'm kinda waiting and hoping for a really good deal on some vintage chiffon scarves on eBay as money is tight right now at our house. I like the idea of being able to keeps hair out of my face, but still keep it down.
      Sarah

      Delete