Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Sew for Victory: My Easter Dress!


Simplicity 2302

Whew! I did get everything sewed that I intended to sew up for Sew for Victory 2.0! I just didn't get the pictures posted until now, and I will warn you they were taken after Easter day festivities were over, so the dress is a little wrinkled and my hair a little wilted. *Sigh* That's what happens when you're me, oh, and if you participate in church, two giant family dinners, and two Easter egg hunts with three little ones. 



The dress was fairly easy to sew up, but I did have to re-cut the sleeves once and sew them in twice. I was trying to avoid the gathered look of poofy sleeves, but there was too much ease. It's a little better now, but still doesn't look like the picture. I have a little slope to my shoulders and apparently my shoulders and arms aren't like those they designed many vintage patterns for.

I did make a few changes to the original design. I tacked back the corners at the top to make a feaux collar, because it looked a little dowdy on me with the high and closed collar. I also left off the tie belt as I felt that it didn't go right with the rest of the dress on me, and no shoulder pads, but I may add them later just to see if it helps the shoulder area. I have an aversion to shoulder pads, I think because I was born in the eighties and saw too many shoulder pads gone wrong, but my love for vintage clothes may force me to admit that a little shoulder pad can be okay. We'll see...


I had a really cute bow belt that was exactly the same shade as the vintage buttons I used, but it literally broke on Easter morning. Guess I shouldn't expect much from a cheap $5 belt bought at one of those trendy boutiques. I only bought it because it matched so well, but I did know better. This one is okay and does match better in person, but oh well. 


I do like the side view of this design, but I think the color isn't the best for me. I used a very pale pink and green plaid patterned chemically made whatever type of fabric I purchased at our local Walmart years ago when they moved to town and put the two little local fabric shops out of business only to promptly get rid of their fabric and craft department immediately. Grrr. Yes, I did get a lot of fabric on the cheap, but hate Walmart just the same, and wish I hadn't even given them the satisfaction of purchasing the fabric now. But since I am trying, I really am trying, not to buy new fabric when there is so much in my stash and I thought the colors would be kinda matchy with the Easter clothes I made for the kids. I'm just not a pastel kind of girl usually.


I wore a new pair of vintage-esque earrings. They are made by VintagePolkaDot.com on Etsy and are a wire basket with vintage fabric flowers in them and a pearl on top.  I love them and cannot wait to wear them again. 


I wore a new hat for Easter as well. It was purchased with this dress in mind, but I'm not sure it's the most flattering hat style for me now that I see it in the pictures, or it could be my wilted hair that I'm trying to grow out isn't doing it any favors. I like the hat just the same and will be looking for more outfits to wear it with. 



Overall, I'm pleased with the dress, for now. I don't think it's the most flattering or fun 1940s maternity dress I've worn or sewn, but it's growing on me. I think I may need to re-examine the way I fixed my hair and accessorized it. For now, it is what it is, and I did finish what I set out to accomplish for both Sew for Victory 2.0 and for our Easter outfits. So, I feel good about it at the moment.

Be sure to check out my other Sew for Victory/Easter sewing projects here and here.

What did you wear for Easter?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful dress and hat!

    retro rover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! I'm still unsure of the color on me. I'm pale, so I don't much care for pale pinks with my skin tone. I tend to feel pale and pasty all over in them, lol

      Delete