Tuesday, February 4, 2014

1970s Fantabulous




Why fantabulous? Because the 1970s were such an, um, weird decade for fashion hits and misses that it deserves it's own made up adjective to describe the sartorial schizophrenia. This dress, I think, is an example of one of the better fashion moments from the decade that brought us spandex hot pants. (Seriously, spandex never looks good on anyone. Just don't do it, no matter how fit and skinny you are, we don't want to know the details of your lower body's anatomy.)


I used Butterick 5572 for this dress which is made from a really soft cotton knit. It is quite literally one of the most comfortable things I've ever made. I did alter it to have 3/4 sleeves, because I thought it would make it more versatile. 

It has an empire drawstring waist and a cool cowl neck collar that I paired with a large beaded necklace that I've had for a long time, but perfectly matched my bakelite button earrings and bangle. 

I also wore a looser, more seventy-ish wave in my hair with a two day old set brushed out a little more. 

This may not be the most amazing dress in your opinion, but I have a very special reason for wearing it. It's a maternity dress, that's right, baby #4 is on the way and due at the end of this summer. So, maybe you'll understand why I haven't been posting as much lately, or sewing as much lately, or wearing a lot of my vintage wardrobe lately. However, be assured there will be lots of vintage maternity themed posts in the coming months and I'll be showing vintage maternity clothes that I have sewn up, both in previous pregnancies and hopefully for this one. 

Gratuitous "bump" shot. I will warn you, I'm not a cute tiny pregnant person, so beware for upcoming pictures.
Has anything ever drastically made you change your wardrobe or sewing plans?

4 comments:

  1. Look at you, gorgeous 1970s mama! I love this outfit. It's stylish, comfortable looking, and really classy (and, I'd imagine, fairly warm, too - always a bonus in February!).

    Happiest congrats on your pregnancy! I'm thrilled for you and can promise you that you'll look gorgeous at any size and point in this wonderful nine month journey.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thank you, Jessica!
    Vintage maternity clothes actually make you look a little bigger anyway because they're not very form fitting like modern ones. But having worn both while pregnant, I can tell you that the looser vintage ones are way more comfortable especially the bigger you get. I don't like wearing tight tops while pregnant so everyone can see the outline of my belly button. An umbilical hernia makes it look funny anyhow, lol.
    That day it was a little cooler than today, but we've had so many days this year where it's either 2 degrees or 60, hence the shorter sleeves. I stay warmer while pregnant, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love it! Looks so comfy but very stylish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sorry I didn't reply sooner. It's like wearing a huge t-shirt ;)

      Delete