Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Plaid Shirt Two Ways

I'm loving the plaid shirt I made a few months back more and more as I find different ways of styling it.  Recently I was I took some quick pictures of two ways I've been wearing it. It gets worn almost as soon as it's clean again. I definitely need more vintage separates in my wardrobe. 


The first outfit was paired with the caramel brown skirt I made and a new old hat. It was a very rainy day, but not too cold, so the shirt worked well worn with my grey raincoat. I didn't get a picture of the raincoat because I took these pictures as soon as I got home, and the coat was still very wet, but it's kind of a charcoal grey and shaped like a vintage swing coat with a hood.



I wore my new "Gold Digger" earrings, and had to show a picture of each. One has a pick and the other a shovel with what looks like gold nuggets. The etsy seller said they were from the 1940s, and I thought they were too cute to pass up.


I wore black tights and some plain black heels I've had forever. I thought with the shorter heel and the rounded toe, they had a bit of a 30s to 40s flair to them, and they are actually super comfy. I could wear these walking all day.

I loved this outfit. It was so easy to wear and the hat kept my head warm and dry in the rain. You would think I could've figured out that a hat would do that before, but I'm just now starting to see the actual benefits and reasons for wearing hats. The more I wear them, the more I want to wear them. I think they're addictive, and I can see many more in my future. I may have to start sewing outfits just to go with the hats.

The second outfit was worn for a casual outing and then Christmas decorating at my brother's store. My  little girl, who's six, especially likes to help in the decorating of his business every year.


It was a little chilly and windy, but a sweater and jeans were sufficiently warm.

 I wore a turquoise colored smocked beret, and it kept my head warmer than expected.




I wore my hair in a ponytail with a couple rolls in the front as I knew I'd be working some outside in the wind and needed my hair out of my face. 


I wore a pair of straight leg jeans and cuffed them at the bottom. I've been doing that for ages though, and not necessarily to have a vintage look, but more because I'm short legged. I paired the jeans with my Minnetonka moccasins. Something else I've had for ages, but they are seriously so comforable.

I also added my "Homeschool Mama" brooch to wear with it, because well, I just wanted to wear it.

Outfit #1 Details:
Shirt-made by me
Skirt-made by me
Tights-no idea
Hat-vintage seller on Etsy (BadGirlVintage)
Shoes-Tommy Hilfiger purchased ages ago

Outfit #2 Details:
Shirt-made by me
Sweater-Christopher Banks, exchanged gift
Jeans-Levi's straight leg dark wash
Mocassins-Minnetonka
Hat-vintage from eBay
Brooch-vintage from eBay

I'm not the best at coming up with outfits, but I do think I'm getting better. And I will definitely be wearing this skirt and plaid shirt combination again.

How do you come up with new ways to wear favorite pieces? 

2 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your awesome gold digger earrings. One of my paternal great-grandfathers came north from the States (the only member of his family to do so) for the famous Klondike gold rush, and though he didn't strike it rich, unlike most who vanished nearly as quickly as they arrived, he loved the Yukon and spent the rest of his days there, marrying my French Canadian great-grandma (from whom I get one of my two middle names, Marie) and having nine children (the youngest of whom is my grandma). Because of this strong family tie to that gold rush, I've always been fascinated with the history of gold rushes in general. So much so, that my first real summer job as a teenager (aka, not babysitting and like) was as a waitress at a living ghost town here in B.C. called Barkerville, which is based around the history of the Carbiboo gold rush of the late 1850s and 1860s. All this to say, I would be over the moon happy to find a pair like them myself one day. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you ever see another.

    Merry two weeks until Christmas, dear gal!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an amazing family history! I think it's interesting to see just how much our knowledge of our own family histories affects how we live. For example, one of my grandfather's grew up on a cattle ranch and worked as a cowboy from the time he was very small, so I have an interest in cowboy culture. My other grandfather served in WWII, so I've always been fascinated by the battle histories and the homefront histories of WWII.
    I will definitely keep on the lookout for anything gold rush and will contact you if I find anything.

    Merry Christmas to you, too!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete