Friday, August 30, 2013

Dreaming of Stockings Hung by the Chimney With Care...


Well, maybe not by the chimney, more like the bathroom. And, it's not the kind of stocking that's meant to be filled with treats and toys, or, um, I guess they could be a treat for someone. *wink, wink*

Temperatures in Tennessee have been mild to say the least this August, with highs only in the 80s the last few weeks (usually we're in the 90s and 100s), and September fast approaching, I'm thinking of fall. Undoubtedly my favorite season. I love a lot of things about summer, but high heat and humidity are not amongst them. 

And today I'm thinking of stockings, seamed stockings to be specific. *Squeal!*

I don't really have much experience with stockings, being that most of my life I've worn tights or pantyhose *shudder* in colder weather, or just gave up and wore pants. I did receive a cheap pair with a garter around the time I got married, but they never were worn outside my bedroom. They were kind of uncomfortable, to be honest. 

The next closest thing for me was while pregnant with our second child, and oldest son who was born March 1st 2011, I bought some thigh highs. It may just be me, but I can't stand having anything tight against my tummy when I'm towards the 7th, 8th, and 9th month of pregnancy and huge. I had sewn an entire vintage wardrobe from vintage maternity patterns of skirts and dresses, and thought my legs would be cold without something. I had no idea where to find anything like that, so I went to a local Sears, and bought the thigh highs with, as I found out, super sticky, stretchy, and uncomfortable. I didn't wear them much.

Definitely would be cheaper to draw on a seam, but not quite the look I'm going for.
This fall, though I want to invest in a couple pairs of nice *cough, cough* affordable, seamed stockings. The only problem is I have no idea what I'm doing.

Where does one start? Fully formed? Cuban heel? Nylon? Silk? Vintage? Repro?

*My husband and I are planning a getaway ("Third Honeymoon") for a couple days in October, to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. Technically our anniversary was in May, but I was still breastfeeding then, so we're going now that the baby's weaned. I would like to have some to take with us, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!*

No comments:

Post a Comment